Sunday, June 1, 2008

Arts & Crafts

"Arts & Crafts Day"
Thursday was the last day of the semester! Prof. Huang decided to give us an "easy" day- so she taught us how to make these beautiful Chinese-style books. (Perfect for journals... in Chinese of course! :-) Making the books essentially consists of folding lots of paper and cardboard and then sewing it all together (punching holes and cutting precisely helps too!) The hardest part is making the Chinese knot-- but even that is simple! (See here!)

The book I made in class...
(I'm keeping it for myself, sorry!)

When I showed Eddie the finished product, he seemed unusually interested. It turns out that we were invited to Ginny and Andrea's birthday party on Saturday night, so if I could just make them the same thing, it would be the perfect gift! I agreed, with one small catch-- he would have to help me make the books! Below are the finished projects. Ginny's is on the right and Andrea's is on the left. Can you guess who made which one?

Eddie made Ginny's and I made Andrea's

Saturday morning Eddie and Lisa had a class research project to do. (Very interesting, more about that later...) in the evening we all headed to TGIF's for the birthday party. It was great to see so many friends I hadn't seen in a long time! (好久不見!)and to sample some "American" food. We had a great time!




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment